Welcome

Welcome to our blog. Our God can move mountains. He has done so in our life and still does. If this is your first visit to our blog, I invite you to read our adoption story from the beginning by clicking the Older Posts link at the very bottom of the page.

Favorite Bible verses

Romans 8

15 For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, "Abba ! Father !" 16 The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him. (NAS)

Ephesians 1

5 His unchanging plan has always been to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. And this gave him great pleasure. (NLT)

John 14

18 [Jesus said] "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." (NAS)

Friday, January 21, 2011

8,182 miles closer to Nathanael

That is the air travel distance from Nashville to Hong Kong, where we are right now sitting in a Marriott hotel room. All I kept thinking about on that 14.5 hour flight from Chicago was, one step closer...one step closer...one step closer. Every mile, every inch was one closer to our son. We didn't sleep much on the plane, in anticipation of what God was doing in our life, in Nathanael's life. It is truly a miracle. To see God's power, the power of the cross, the Gospel of Christ, lived out in such a real way is completely incredible. All glory to Christ. We are just his servants and don't deserve any credit for this. All we did was take the first step in faith. I want to share a few words from Pete Wilson from his book "Plan B". I was reading this book on the plane at the request of my Dad. (Thanks, Dad) In chapter 4 "Your Jordan", Pete writes about how the Israelites, after wandering in the wilderness for a generation, now had a new leader in Joshua. And God was asking them to make a seemingly impossible step to cross the Jordan River. Take time to read the story yourself in Joshua chapter 3. Here are the words from Pete Wilson:


"Israel is facing an obstacle, a barrier, a particularly terrifying Plan B. They've got to get across the Jordan to get to God's life for them. And God has promised that his power is sufficient to make that happen. God will deliver them. God will make a way.

"But (and this is a big but) they have to take the first step. They will not see God's power, they will not experience his faithfulness, until they get their feet wet.

"God tells them, "I want you to take one step in the Jordan, and then you'll see me at work." He's teaching his people how that trust works.

"See God is teaching his people: I have so much power, and I want to manifest it in your life. But if you want to see my power, you have to take the risk. You have to take the step. You have to take the spiritual risk of trusting me first."

"I think God's words for Joshua as he stands beside the Jordan are also for each of us. God says, "I've already gone ahead of you. I'll be there for every step you take; I've occupied the land. But you've got to choose." And because stepping into the Jordan, whatever your Jordan is, always involves overcoming fear, God keeps repeating what he told Joshua over and over again: 'Don't be afraid. Don't be afraid. Don't be afraid.'"


All Keyanna and I are doing is taking the step into the Jordan. God will make a way. It is the Gospel of Christ, His all-surpassing love and His supreme power on display, not us. To have a God that cares enough about us to have this plan of adoption and allow us to be a part of that is truly humbling and truly wonderful. I was also listening to a sermon from J.D. Greear on my ipod during the flight. He said that the answer to caring for orphans is not us, not sinful man; it is the cross. The answer to caring for orphans is the power of the Gospel of Christ. We are both honored and humbled that He would use us to display His power of redemption. Are you letting fear hold you back from seeing God's power work in your life? It is a question for all of us, daily.

Isaiah 43:2,5: "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you... 5 Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west."

So far on this trip we may have only seen 3 airports and a hotel room, but we are seeing so much more than that in the way God is on display in this process. We pray that we keep our hearts open and our eyes on the Saviour. We pray that we get our own expectations out of His way, prepare our hearts for Plan B, and let God lead us across our Jordan.


Zethan would love this old war plane behind me.

Chicago airport

Our plane

Landing in Hong Kong


Beautiful sunset in Hong Kong



No comments:

Post a Comment