Chai's short life has affected me deeply on a soul level. Most of the time when someone you love dies it causes you to look back. But not so with Chai. There are no fond memories to hold on to, no good times to remember. Chai's life causes me to look forward. To the eternal joy and glory that is to come. I finally understand the groaning spoken of in Romans chapter 8 verses 22 & 23. I have a new perspective on the suffering Christ endured and that we must share in order to share in his glory.
I have had many intimate moments with God over the past year. I have meditated on his Word. I have tried to lean on his promises, on his understanding. The main question I have arrived at today for myself (and for all of us) is this: Is my happiness and security primarily defined by the temporary things of this world or is my focus on the advancement of God's kingdom and His purpose in my life? Am I truly seeking to only reflect his glory as his servant, or am I trying to carve out my own path, to be a ruler of my own life, to be in control myself? God has taught me that to lose sight of his kingdom, which Jesus said is not of this world, is foolishness. To try to be captain of my own ship is folly. And to dwell on the temporary will always eventually end in ruin and heartbreak.
Today we celebrate Chai's life. In this flawed and sinful world people hold too tightly to many things, whether it be our careers, our toys, our money, our friends or even our spouse and children. Chai's life is a reminder that all the things we hold so tightly are temporary. People to whom we give so much importance that we fear losing them makes them to be idols which come between us and the Father. This is the sin that God has convicted me of through Chai. If this whole earth passes away...no, WHEN this whole earth passes away, I have nothing to fear. Christ is ALL that I need.
I am thankful for much today. I have a wife and three children I adore. But above all the good gifts in my life, I am thankful that Christ died in my place and because of that nothing can separate me, his adopted child, from the love of Christ. Although death has separated Chai from his Mom, Dad and brothers who love him dearly, nothing can separate Chai Samuel Atwood from the love of Christ. Although the pain of his death will never go away, we who are in Christ know the separation is temporary. In Christ, we remember. In Christ, we hope. In Christ, we wait. We WILL see Chai again one day, and a glorious day that will be.
Today we celebrated Chai's birthday with a balloon release. Many friends and family who love Chai were there. Thanks to all who celebrated in remembrance of his precious life. Sorry we did not get pictures of everyone. We will try to post the video later.
We love you Chai!
Uncle Troy, Aunt Keyanna, Zethan, Trynna and Nathanael
Romans 8:14-25
14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. 15 For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, "Abba! Father!" 16 The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, then heirs--heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.
18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. 19 For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope 21 that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. 23 And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. 24 For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.
2 Corinthians 4: 16-18"Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day. For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal."
Troy and Keyanna,
ReplyDeleteKeva and I are both very thankful, humbled, honored and encouraged by this. It is so great to see so many of our friends and family remember Chai with us. We love you guys so much!
Trevor and Keva
Dear Troy and Keyanna,
ReplyDeleteI just read your blog from the newest post to the oldest, with joy and tears! Thanks for sharing!
I look forward to seeing your three beautiful children at tomorrow's Fall Festival!
Xiaowei